Reassigning Setting

sender123

Beginner
Jul 8, 2020
Hello,

I have a situation with one of my users where I'm looking to change them from a "regular" user to a staff user so that the other staff users in the account can send to the contact lists and send out campaigns assigned to that regular user. I doesn't look like there an option in the UI to do this so I wondering what would be the best method to go about doing this?

I don't want there to be any chance that this regular user loses ANY information. We need ALL information (contact lists, custom fields, campaigns, etc.) all reassigned to a newly created staff user.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Joe

wasif

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Hi Joe,

You can run the following query and it should convert the user account to an admin account.

UPDATE `users` SET is_client = 0, is_staff = 1 WHERE id = user_id;

Replace user_id with the actual user id of the account.

Let me know if it works!

Reactions: sender123

sender123

Beginner
Jul 8, 2020
Hi Wsif,

That appears to be have done the trick. However, the role they have now appears to be the regular user role. Will that affect any access they had previously or is it best practice to setup a role in staff admin to match that of the roles defined for a regular user role just to keep things clean?

Thanks,
Joe

sender123

Beginner
Jul 8, 2020
Hi Wasif,

In looking at this more, I did have some other questions as well:

1. What if I did want to move all information from one user to another?
2. In the staff page, in order for me to edit a staff user's permissions, I need to know their password. Is there a workaround for this? Maybe another SQL command to change their roles from "Old Permission Name" to "New Permission Name"? I'd prefer something in the UI that would allow for this without having to know my client's password.

Thanks,
Joe

sender123

Beginner
Jul 8, 2020
Hi,

To follow up on #2, it doesn't appear the password is required though red * appear on that page but is there still a SQL command to change this?

Thanks,
Joe

wasif

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Hi Wsif,

That appears to be have done the trick. However, the role they have now appears to be the regular user role. Will that affect any access they had previously or is it best practice to setup a role in staff admin to match that of the roles defined for a regular user role just to keep things clean?

Thanks,
Joe

Once you run the query, it should appear in the admins, where you can edit it to associate the correct role.

wasif

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Hi Wasif,

In looking at this more, I did have some other questions as well:

2. In the staff page, in order for me to edit a staff user's permissions, I need to know their password. Is there a workaround for this? Maybe another SQL command to change their roles from "Old Permission Name" to "New Permission Name"? I'd prefer something in the UI that would allow for this without having to know my client's password.

Thanks,
Joe

Ans: It involves much work and according to the law, it's wrong to assign a user's assets to another user who doesn't actually own the data. That's why we can have the staff section where the data of any staff member is accessible among all staff members (admins).

Ans: If you edit a staff account and just change the role by having the password field empty, it shouldn't replace the previous password.