Virtual MTA Pools

bryananaya

Beginner
Nov 3, 2023
I searched and saw a thread that touched on this but didn't answer my question exactly. I have Mumara Campaigns and PowerMTA on separate VPS. I want to utilize PowerMTA's virtual servers and pools abilities.

From the other thread it seemed like I can set the virtual MTA servers in the pmta config file and then run through the Mumara wizard and point to those and Mumara will take care of the rotation between them like pools? Is that correct?

I essentially want to use <virtual-mta-pool> with a bank of single IP virtual MTAs.

What is the proper way to achieve this outcome?

bryananaya

Beginner
Nov 3, 2023
After reviewing the config in the sending nodes setup, it looks like this is auto-completed through the wizard.

wasif

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Email rotation can be managed effectively using both Mumara and PowerMTA, each offering distinct methods to facilitate this process.

When configuring a PowerMTA server within Mumara, the system prompts you to associate IP addresses with domains. For instance, if you have 100 IP addresses and 10 domains, and you assign 10 IPs to each domain, Mumara provides you with a choice: you can either create a single sending node (SMTP) for each group/domain or have individual sending nodes for each IP. If you opt for grouping, Mumara will consolidate every 10 IPs into a single virtual-mta in the PowerMTA configuration, resulting in 10 sending nodes in Mumara and 10 virtual-mta entries in PowerMTA.

In PowerMTA, having multiple hosts within a single virtual-mta or multiple virtual-mtas within a single virtual-mta-pool essentially performs the same function. We use the virtual-mta approach, where your 10 IPs are added to the virtual-mta directives. So, in the given example, there would be 10 virtual-mta directives created, each containing 10 IPs. When an email is sent from any virtual-mta, PowerMTA randomly selects one of the 10 associated IPs for relaying the email.

Additionally, Mumara offers the flexibility to select multiple Sending Nodes when scheduling campaigns. In this setup, Mumara will rotate the sending node for each email. Many clients prefer to create a single Sending Node in Mumara for each IP, allowing Mumara to manage rotation. This approach often results in better handling and more accurate reporting. This setup enables a more granular control and detailed monitoring of the email-sending process, ensuring efficient and effective email delivery management.

Reactions: bryananaya