Excluding Contacts - IMPORTANT

whiteknight

Mar 20, 2021
This is a feature I consider critical. I would pay extra for it as an addon.

I need the ability to send a broadcast to contacts of list A but exclude contacts in list B.

I think this could be done in a number of ways.

First, you could add a contact list filter to segments. So in a segment, I select list A but then use a filter to exclude contacts on list b.

Or Second, you could just add a new option to the schedule process/flow in which you identify any number of segments or contact lists to be excluded from that send.

whiteknight

Mar 20, 2021
Revisiting this. In V 5.3 Beta a method has been added to achieve this but it needs some work.

Right now to exclude a list one creates a segment based on contact lists and then uses advanced criteria to create a segment that includes contacts found on list A but not contacts found on list B.

In theory that works but it has a few issues.

First, right now there is no way to have criteria for multiple lists. So no way to send to list A but exclude contacts and lists B AND C.

Second, right now there is no filter for bounced contacts. So when I create the segment and then send to that segment it WILL send to every bounced contact. This is a HUGE problem. Either add a filter option to filter out bounced contacts or even better just filter them out automatically. Hard bounced contacts should never receive email and when sending to a list they don't by default but when sending to a segment based on contact lists, they do.

In my opinion, using the segmenting tool to achieve this feature over complicates the desired effect. It think it would be much simpler to just add a step in the scheduling process and flow where you can identify any number of segments or contact lists to be excluded from that send.

Regardless of the approach, it needs some serious work.

whiteknight

Mar 20, 2021
In V 5.1.33 this feature is greatly improved. I still would prefer if I could exclude list(s) during the sending process but the current advanced criteria segment options are a good start.

The next evolution of this would be to allow the excluding of multiple lists. Right now that isn't an option. In advance criteria I can say

Is member of List A
Is not member of List B

But I can't also say Is not member of list C

Thank you.

wasif

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
Why not? You can choose multiple lists for both criteria i.e. Member of, and isn't Member of. These are checkboxes

I was able to select multiple as you can see in the picture below

Reactions: whiteknight

whiteknight

Mar 20, 2021
Thank you for the screenshot. I was trying to add more lines of criteria and couldn't. Failed to see you can select multiple lists.

Great work.

Reactions: wasif