Sendgrid integratin and understanding where the data is going

whiteknight

Mar 20, 2021
I'm new to Mumara, very excited to be part of the community.

I've send about 500,000 emails so far and I use the SendGrid integration. I have the event webhook turned on so in theory data on spam complaints and bounces is coming back to Mumara.

Where is the data coming back from SendGrid? Yesterday I sent about 210K emails. Mumara says 4126 failed. What does "failed" mean exactly?

When I click on the arrow next to failed nothing happens. So I can't view those.

When I login to Sendgrid I see yesterday I had 210,299 requests but only 178,137 delivered. So what happened to the other 30,000? Sendgrid should send those back to Mumara to mark them as bounced or spam complaints right?

When I check the broadcast stats the Bounced Tab and Complaints Tab are empty. Nothing.

Also the Email Suppression page is empty. Nothing. So where is the data going?

The campaign I sent today shows it "Skipped" 172 contacts. Which contacts? Why were they skipped?

I want to make sure invalid and bounced emails are getting updated correctly and appropriately but so far as I can tell that isn't happening. On the other hand Mumara does seem to have some data about something (failed and skipped) but I can't see what that is or where it came from.

whiteknight

Mar 20, 2021
Just wanted to add that I did figure out what Skipped is. In the broadcast report I can click on that number and it gives me a breakdown. In my case all 172 skipped are unsubscribed.

wasif

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 9, 2019
@whiteknight welcome to the Mumara family.

1. Where is the data coming back from SendGrid? Yesterday I sent about 210K emails. Mumara says 4126 failed. What does "failed" mean exactly?
Ans: Failed means the bounces, where the delivery was failed.

2. When I click on the arrow next to failed nothing happens. So I can't view those.
Ans: If you are clicking on the dashboard arrow, it doesn't take you anywhere. It's just a design element. Bounces can be found in broadcast statistics under logs.

3. When I login to Sendgrid I see yesterday I had 210,299 requests but only 178,137 delivered. So what happened to the other 30,000? Sendgrid should send those back to Mumara to mark them as bounced or spam complaints right?
Ans: If 30k data is missing, SendGrid is the right company to explain what happened to the 30k. Either they were rejected, or previously bounced, or something like it. Mumara just processes the hooks that are mentioned here https://support.mumara.com/help-center/articles/1/10/26/sending-nodes#sending-node-sendgrid. Almost all hooks I believe. Also, if you have Delivery hooks enabled, it may put a lot of load on your CPU for the parallel apache requests.

4. When I check the broadcast stats the Bounced Tab and Complaints Tab are empty. Nothing.
Ans: It could be a reason that the contacts are no more within the same list. Either you have moved them to another list or a trigger running on that list performing such an action?

5. Also the Email Suppression page is empty. Nothing. So where is the data going?
Ans: Which data? Suppression just carries that contacts that you manually suppress. When a bounce occurs, alternatively, the related contacts are also flagged as bounced and can be seen on the view contacts page.

6. I want to make sure invalid and bounced emails are getting updated correctly and appropriately but so far as I can tell that isn't happening. On the other hand Mumara does seem to have some data about something (failed and skipped) but I can't see what that is or where it came from.
Ans: I didn't get it. Can you please explain? You mean some kinda global logs?

whiteknight

Mar 20, 2021
For the group's benefit I wanted to let everyone know this is resolved.

2 Things here. First I learned that Sendgrid doesn't send the event notification for a given bounced email address more than once. Long story short but when I migrated to Mumara I brought with me a bunch of bounced and invalid addresses. Sendgrid won't send to them but it leaves me with bad data and I didn't understand why that data wasn't getting back to Mumara. Now I know. Wasif is helping to manually run that query and clean it up.

Next, There was some sort of issue with a missing json file in my installation. Thank you Wasif for fixing that. It looks like I'm good to go with this issue.

Reactions: wasif